Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Ebay's Great Moments : a McDonald's special

Once upon a time, I saw that card :


And I immediately knew I had to have it (cardboard love at first sight is a very common occurrence with me. I'm a card slut). And I found out it came from that set :


A 36 card set distributed through McDonald's, where you were allowed to purchase foil packs for 45 cts if you bought...Well, junk food, I suppose. The set has three distinctive parts : first, the great moments in club history, from 85 (first championship) to 92 (first American league pennant). Then, the 92 playoffs and World Series. And finally, the starting lineup (minus pitchers). And I think they look all kinds of great. The almost full bleed for the World series cards, the gold foil, the design (ok, maybe not the McDonald's logo), the blue borders for the 85-92 moments, everything works well. And the photo selection is really solid, especially for a Donruss product. They even went horizontal a few times.





I hadn't pulled the trigger yet because each card was either a couple of dollars on Comc, or a complete set would go for $8 to $15 plus shipping ($10) on ebay. Not my priority. But when I saw a listing for one (yes, one) cent (yes, cent) + shipping, I figured I might as well give it a go. And to my big surprise, I was the only bidder. It made me almost feel bad for the seller, but hey, why would you put an entire 36 card set with a 1 cent starting bid ? Shipping charges were 900 times the winning bid, which was fine by me. So thank you, mister ebay seller, for allowing me to add that nice piece of history (well, of Blue Jays history, that is) to my collection, at a very low, reasonable price.

Maybe now I can find 1 ct complete sets with free international shipping...

8 comments:

  1. Sweet pick up! These cards look like quality 1993 era Donruss inserts. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice score! Cool set! Seller beware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ! yeah, it's one thing to offer a very low first bid to attract people...but you need to make sure there's an actual demand

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A play at the plate, some trophy cards...that set is right up your alley !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. the key word is 'almost'. I don't really feel bad, after all, it's not my problem ! The guy even sent a complimentary Cecil Fielder card !

      Delete