Friday, November 28, 2014

One sided trade with JayBarkerFan

Wes, well, Jay Barker Fan, is a legend among these parts.

That's the way I see it anyway from my small overseas window. To tell the truth, I'm kind of lazy. I have my comfort zone and tend not to go out of it. But hey, to have a comfort zone, you have to create one in the first place, give me some credit. Anyway, I know there are tenths of blogs out there, but I only read a few of those.What can I say, I have a short attention span. I do have about 30 blogs on my blog roll, so I'll always have an eye out for those, but I'll always read my 4 or 5 favorite ones in the morning, with my coffee mug in my hand and my sleepy eyes trying to focus.

What I'm trying to say is that I realize that I only read a small sample of what's out there, and I don't mean to belittle all of you great bloggers out there, but Wes is in a league of his own (as is Night Owl, for example, and I'm sure we all agree on that). I got there too late to participate in his World Cup of trading, but as a European soccer fan (it always makes me smile when Americans say it's a boring sport where nothing happens, and at the same time are able to spend 3 hours in front of a baseball game or in front of a football game where there's nothing but time outs and the actions amount for about 15 minutes), I could only applaud the idea.

I contacted him, saying I knew he retired from blogging (but not from trading) and that I'd love to send him some Braves cardboard, just as a thank you in the name of the blogosphere, for his generosity. Yeah, it's probably a little bit silly, I know, but I liked the idea. He answered by saying that he had some cards for me. And ok, I'll admit my heart skipped a beat for a minute, and I was very curious to see what he'd send me. A few days later, and the day after that great package from Matt, it had crossed the ocean, and those cards were finally home.


A couple of Wells, including a numbered one, and that nice minor league auto. It's very strange how it looks like a simple in person auto, and not like it was signed for the company. I really need to write a post about what I think of people who sell the cards the had signed in person...


Those two relics look absolutely great. I love the idea of the logo on the bat, cattle style.


Some autos ! Those Sp authentics don't look that bad, and I actually prefer not to see a player at all, than seeing him airbrushed. Yeah I know, I'm partial, it's because I love Upper Deck and hate Panini. Sue me. Mc Gowan's days as a Blue Jay seem over (he's a free agent), but I'm still glad I got this auto, my first of his.


Cesar played just one season for the Blue Jays, and he's not the same Izturis who now plays for Toronto, Maicer. And Delgado will always be Delgado.


I'll say it again : those By the letter cards are an awesome idea.


And of course, here's the card I really wanted.
I feel like I'm part of the family now.
I could almost cry.

Thanks a lot Wes for the great cards, even though you have no idea who I am ! I hope we'll have the opportunity to do this again, and I'm hunting down some Braves and Willinghams for you in any case !

No comments:

Post a Comment