Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The very first

We all remember our first (the alcohol level will just mandate how clear the memory is).

I’m sure it won’t mind (yes, it’s an « it »), but I will now show you a picture of MY first. The one that made me a man in the collecting world at the age of 11.



As you can see, it’s seen better days. A now very common card from the height of the junk era, but in 1989, it was beautiful and crisp and it caught my eye, as it was just lying there, on the ground, in the streets of Forrest Hills, as I was walking to the subway on my way to school (yes, I spent a year in NY when I was 11). It would be another 5 years before I’d see an actual baseball game or start collecting baseball cards, but I can’t help but think this was a sign. I cherished that card. I kept it even though I had no idea what everything at the back meant, or what those stats were, but I knew each and every number on there.

It could’ve been worse as far as player selection goes. Todd Worrell was after all great during his first years in the majors. ROY, saved 30 plus games in his first three seasons and pitched in the post-season (and that was before Wild cards) and was an 88 All Star.
And the moment I picked up his card, he got injured (ok, so I don’t remember the exact date I found it, but I’m sure it’s connected !) and it took him years to recover. Actually, he recovered when I started collecting baseball cards full time as if my life depended on it, around 1994. Coincidence ? I don’t think so. And Night Owl probably has a whole bunch of his Dodgers cards to prove it.


The reason why it’s in such a bad shape is because I’ve been carrying it in my wallet for the past 20 years. Not as glamorous as Bob Costas’ Mantle card, but it’s still very important to me. As first times should always be.

How about you ? what card was your very first ?

7 comments:

  1. 1993 Upper Deck Then and Now - Nolan Ryan. First card. It was an accident. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the very first inserts I pulled from my very first packs of cards back in 93 ! I love that card

      Delete
  2. I honestly have no idea. I remember some cards very well from my childhood from 1986 and 1987 Topps, but I definitely can't remember my first card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just going to ask you what the card was that you found in the street when you left the reply on my blog the other day. That Worrell is a work of art that only baseball cards can provide.

    Although I wish I could, I can't remember what my first card was. I do, however, own a few that are in similar shape to your Worrell. My favorite...

    http://baseballdimebox.blogspot.com/2011/12/only-i-would-buy-this-card.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first card was probably one of the mid 80's Topps sets. In true Bob Walk the Plank fashion I probably traded it to my brother for a Pirate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can finally comment here!

    So my first cards came from the McDonald's basketball promo set we got in France in the early 90's. It must have been somewhere around 92 and I remember how cool it felt when I realized I could buy those packs directly without buying a Happy meal .

    I don't remember which card was in my first pack though...

    ReplyDelete