Sunday, September 7, 2014

Quantum Leap

Oh boy...

The last couple of days have been very busy for the mailman and for me. I got two surprise packages from two fellow collectors who could just feel how distressed I was from my team lot misfortunes on ebay.

I'll start with the first one.

350 Blue Jays cards from Ben, with over 200 I needed for my collection. A lot of  recent Bowman and Topps (recent, to me, being from the past 10 years), including the usual A&G, Archives and Heritage. Hardly anything from the 90s, wich means I got my first real life taste of a few sets I had never seen in person.

I got my first 1977 Topps cards. That would be the first Blue Jays cards also, obviously. And I must admit that I really love them. I'll really have to look into 70s cards more closely. Nice shades, btw.


I'm really not a Bowman guy. I liked their 94 design, bit other than that, they really bore me. Plus, I'm not into RC, so that doesn't help. One thing's for sure, they confuse the heck out of me when it comes to all their parallels. Most cards I have, I have no idea what they are, and often confuse them with base cards. I just hope there are no parallels of Chrome cards. Wich already are basically a parallel of the base set, but in different packs. Maybe they thought they could fool me just because I'm french.


My first 2001 Archives. The set that started it (the retro craze) all, if I understand correctly. I had to go on Basebacarpedia to make sure this was indeed the 2001 Archives set, and not some kind of insert, since the numbering at the back of the card is so, sooooo small. Trying to build sets must have been a real pain. And not just because of the cost of wax boxes. The Ticket to Stardom card, I just don't understand. I don't understand the picture they chose, nor the whole concept. It's still a Scott Rolen card though, so I'll take it gladly !

Die Cut. Gold Foil. Pacific. OF COURSE it's going to be awesome ! I really wonder what the homes of those who designed those cards looked like.


Like many of you out there in the blogosphere, I have mixed feelings about Panini (yup, those are my very first un(fully) licensed cards. I normally do not collect them, but they are still pictures of blue jays players on cardboard, so I'm a sucker that way). Ok, not really, my feelings are pretty clear: I hate them. For a lot of reasons, actually, and one of them is directly linked to my job. I'll probably tell you about it one day, but not now. The lack of logos and team names doesn't help, of course, but the designs just don't work for me. The Hometown Heroes ones are actually half-decent. But you'd think they'd at least airbrush the right jersey ? Because this looks awfully a lot like a Yankees jersey to me. There's nothing right with the Pinnacle one, though. For a brand known for it's great photography, it's a shame to use only close-up shots. I'll maintain my embargo on Panini.


Ben was also nice enough to include those two cards (remember, it wasn't even part of a trade, he just offered to send me those cards. I will pay him back for the shipping, though, because you don't cross the ocean for free). The Reyes SP (that whole SP idea is one big silly one. I like the variations though) and an Adam Lind RC AU. Thanks a lot Ben !

So a lot of great cards, filling out a lot of base cards needs I had. I'm putting together a stack of Blue Jays doubles for a fellow collector. I hope they realize how lucky they are to travel so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment