Friday, August 11, 2017

Happy Birthday boy

Those who follow me on twitter already know about this, but just as I was whining a couple of months ago about how nobody around me could possibly offer me the perfect baseball-related gift, my girlfriend surprised me with arguably the best present I've ever received :


A signed Ken Griffey Jr baseball. And not just any baseball : one from 91-93 (it's a Bobby Brown American League one), aka my favorite era in baseball and in memory lane. Ballpoint, sweet spot, there's nothing not to like about that signature. I had actually brought home from the US an official baseball just like that one, but it's all faded now and doesn't even have that distinctive baseball smell anymore, so what's the point ? So, yeah, I'll cherish this one for a long time...

And yesterday, my close friends received the gift they'd planned for me :


An official Blue Jays jersey, with my name stitched on the back, along with the big 4-0. Surprisingly enough, I don't own a Blue Jays jersey with their old logo. I only have a white one with Blue Jays written accross it. Nothing too exciting. Needless to say, I love that one ! I might try one day to track down a Candian Day red jersey, but the idea of a 200$ price tag because of shipping and handling is a major, major bump on the road.

None of my friends (nor my girlfriend) will read this, but I'm sure they know I love them. I shall now parade all over Paris amongst all those PSG soccer jerseys (I don't know if you followed, but they just acquired the most expensive player in soccer history : the Brazilian star Meymar, for 222M € (250 M $)) with an encased baseball in my hand.

9 comments:

  1. You must put your beret on and hop on your bike and let the townspeople see your jersey and Griffey ball!!!!! I should get you the Josh Donaldson "Bringer of Rain" nickname jersey that he is going to wear next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shudder*

      Then again, this sounds like the old NBA and MLB posters I had in my room 25 years ago !

      Delete
  2. Awesome! The Griffey ball is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't imagine there's many baseball jerseys floating around in France. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hardly any indeed...turns out my very first jersey was a hand me down from a friend of mine who'd often travel to the US, back when I was 15 (1992), and it was a Cubs jersey. I found it at the bottom of an old box not long ago and it's still perfectly wearable. This will help me stay hype !

      Delete
  4. Tell your GF my birthday is coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see that your complaining was unwarranted. That's pretty good group of people you've got around you. And that ball is freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ball and jersey. Sounds like some very memorable birthday presents. I have no idea what I got last year for my birthday. But that's because I didn't receive a Griffey signed ball and an authentic jersey. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Two great gifts. Just as a fan I was happy when the Blue Jays went back to the more or less original logo. I wasn't a fan of the "mean" jay. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete