Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The oddball looking in

When I stopped collecting 16 years ago, I had 12 000 cards (8 000 baseball and 4 000 basketball). I was pretty happy with myself, I thought it was a nice collection, and friends I talked to would look at me in disbelief, mostly because it was the first time they heard of anyone gathering so many pieces of cardboard with baseball players on them.

Of course, I now realize that a few thousand is absolutely nothing, especially with the insane amount of cards that have been made available the past 15 years. As a matter of fact, I have now accumulated almost 15 000 cards in just 4 months (and no, I don't have that much money to spend on the hobby, unfortunately). NOW my friends can really look at me like I'm crazy.

Anyway, I realize now that I knew a lot of things about the hobby, but mostly about the main brands. I knew about what Beckett would write about. Not much more, since I had no LCS to hang out at or other collectors to educate me. I did, though, have a few cards that I could not classify, that I did not know where they came from. Those were, of course, oddballs, except I had no idea oddballs existed and were catalogued. Turns out they were some of my favorites, too, and I'm sure some of you can relate ! (yeah, you know who you are).


O-Pee-Chee ! Just the name of the card is awesome. It took me awhile (which is kind of ironic) to realize that part of the text on the back is written in french. "Fiche complète comme lanceur dans les majeures". Now that's something


 A couple Griffeys. One from Hostess, the other one from Post. I remember wondering why there wasn't a logo on that cap (and jersey), but decided it was what gave it that special touch. And yet, I hate all those Panini issues with all my small beating heart. Go figure.


One of my favorite cards in my binders. It's a card, but it's also a book ! mindblowing.


The most expensive card I ever bought. I paid $8 for it. I absolutely love it for many, many reasons.
And I thought it was so special to have a promo version, until I realized that hum, they're selling something that Upper Deck sent for free...hey !


Another Post, from a player I used to collect...the joys of the Mitchell report.


Can't remember where I got these.  A friend gave them to me in Cleveland, I think. It's only now that I realize that there are no logos made visible. Well done, Milk bone ! Those cards are so pointless that, of course, I need to have them.

 Another mystery card. From Baseball Magazine, obviously. And I have no idea what they're asking me if I knew, at the back of the card.


How perfect can this card be ? Plus, it's serial numbered ! well ok, not quite. But it is limited. Ok, not quite either, since it's limited to...150 000 copies. At a time where nobody gave production numbers, I suppose it IS a limited issue, somehow.

It's much easier in 2014, but I can't wait to get my hands on other oddballs here and there !

2 comments: